Most notably I’m a coach with an obsession for problem solving.
I build products and services that help others troubleshoot their fitness and change pursuits, laying the bedrock for everything else they might do.
And if they’re having trouble shedding a few extra pounds, I can help a lot with that too.
Bottom-line – I think businesses exist to help others achieve wondrous things and I’m obsessed with finding the optimal methods that lead to the best possible outcomes.
Hey, it’s what I do, let me know if I can help you.
Darren in 30 Seconds:
- I’ve almost completed my first book “White Belt Fitness“
- I want to change the way you think about fitness and weight loss.
- I’m a recovering perfectionist.
- I’m a right brainer trapped in a left-brained body and world.
- I believe in helping others realize the degree to which, they can enjoy the important possibilities of their life.
- I believe the process of change starts from the inside out, and needs a foundation.
- I believe that a long-term view beats a short-term push.
- I believe in challenging the conventional point of view with critical thinking.
- I believe that you can’t change anyone, but you can inspire them to change themselves.
- I believe everyone should have a personal philosophy, mission statement and live a life of purpose (easier said than done).
- I believe in teaching others good habits, behaviors and life skills.
- I believe that everyone has the power to control their own state of well-being.
- I believe in teaching others to fish, not just catching fish for them.
- I believe that everyone needs various mentors, coaches, or guides, at various times in their life.
- I believe that a diet is something everyone eats as a normal daily recurrence, over the course of a lifetime.
- I believe that the mind has incredible potential for change and is massively under-utilized in the process of change.
- I believe in quality, not quantity.
- I believe in continual optimization.
- My personal mantra is, “Improve Quality of Life.” and you can read more about our manifesto here.
Over the last 9 years I’ve helped hundreds of people enhance their quality of life, but it’s not enough. I’m looking for a thousand, then tens of thousands, then hundreds of thousands, I’m not sure I will ever be able to impact enough lives.
I started Fitnack as a vehicle for reaching that coaching scale.
Fitnack is the first product of Fettle, a business dedicated to helping others enhance their quality of life.
This means helping others realize the important possibilities of their lives, not just making them lose body fat or gain muscle mass. I do this by teaching others new and useful movement, nutrition and mindset skills, habits and behaviors to bring about change.
I had a realization early on in my coaching practice, that the physical nature of weight loss or fitness, is often not what holds people back from performing well in that area of their lives.
It’s rarely that people can’t physically exercise as they should, or that they can’t possibly eat what they know is good for them.
We all generally know what we must do to create the change we seek, we just don’t completely understand how we’re going to do it and often why we should.
Fitnack capitalizes on the power of our in-house coaching platform Koachable. Enabling us to gently nudge people in the right direction utilizing science based principles of behavior change and skill acquisition on a daily basis.
Koachable isn’t so much a learning platform as a coaching platform.
It’s not about teaching you what you should eat or what exercises you should do, it’s about making you go through the process of learning how to do all of those things in a way that suits your lifestyle.
It’s daily recurring practice with a live coach along for the ride to help shape your unique experience within the program. In this case, it’s machine augmented coaching.
In order to bring about more massive change, I need to change how you, and everyone you know, thinks about fitness.
I’m determined to help others by teaching them new skills, helping them form new, more productive habits and also changing their behaviors in a way that takes them closer to their ideal outcomes.
It is easy to tell people what to do, I want to show them how to do it, and how to cater it to your own needs.
I want you to take ownership.
I want to make you aware of the purpose for fitness or weight-loss, in your own right and help you create that plan for change.
For me the goal is the journey not a destination, I hope to make you feel the same way.
Other Little Facts About Me:
- I used to fear failure, now I’ve failed a few times at things that were really important to me, and moved on to better things.
- I have been the Strength and Conditioning Coach for the Football Team at the University of British Columbia (UBC)
- I’m certified by the Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology (CSEP)
- I’ve given numerous talks on the topics of high performance training, coaching, weight loss, human movement, mindset training and nutrition at multiple venues in British Columbia and Ontario, including the University of British Columbia and several local business organizations.
- I surf, snowboard, mountain bike, enjoy squash, play basketball, volleyball, baseball, and soccer. I used to play soccer, basketball and volleyball at a pretty competitive level.
- I also play percussion, exercise regularly, love to cook most of my own food and generally try to acquire as many skills as interests me.
- I am very open to dialogue, continued learning, and spreading the good word via talks, coaching and writing.
- If you would like to contact me, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or find me on Twitter or Google+.